I just love coleslaw. It always reminds me of picnics, church potlucks and family reunions. Now that warmer weather is on the way and we'll be grilling out more, I really wanted to come up with a coleslaw that was on plan, but still very delicious to accompany my grilled food. This coleslaw hits all the right notes. It's sweet but tangy with a perfect little crunch from the nuts and cabbage. It makes quite a bit, so it's great to bring to gatherings as well.
I like my coleslaw a little "chunkier" so I cut my cabbage by hand, but if you like your coleslaw to be thinner, then shred it on a box grater or in your food processor. Or if you're really short on time, buy the pre-shredded cabbage from the store. No shame in taking a little help from the store. :)
Crunchy and Tangy Bacon Coleslaw (S)
- 3/4 c. mayonnaise *For those wishing to make their own mayo, here's a great recipe from Paleo Leap
- 1 t. THM Sweet Blend or 1 1/4 t. Truvia
- 1 1/2 t. apple cider vinegar
- 4 c. green cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 c. red cabbage, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 1/2 c. nuts - sliced almonds or peanuts taste the best
- Mix mayo, sweetener and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl.
- Add the cabbages and bacon to the bowl and mix lightly. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- When you're ready to serve, add the nuts and stir to combine.