About nine months ago I came across an article that told how to make a household disinfectant cleaner using citrus peels (any variety you choose) and white vinegar. Super cheap and super easy! I gave it a try and I'm never going back to conventional cleaners. Now for those of you who are wondering if vinegar actually kills germs, yes it does. It's been used for years and years as a natural disinfectant.
What you will need:
- 16 oz. spray bottle
- 2 citrus fruits if they are larger, 3 if the fruit are smaller such as lemons
- White Distilled Vinegar
- Quart size canning jar, or a similar size container with a lid
- A funnel (not entirely necessary, just makes it easier)
To make the cleaner:
- Select which type of citrus to use. I typically use grapefruit, but have used orange too and loved that.
- Peel the fruit and put it in the bottom of the canning jar.
- Pour white distilled vinegar over top until the container is full.
- Put the lid on it and leave it sitting on your counter for 2 weeks. You don't have to do a thing, just let it marinate together.
- Once your 2 weeks is up, remove the lid and pour the liquid through a fine mesh strainer (colander) into a mixing bowl.
- Grab the funnel and pour the liquid into the 16 oz. spray bottle.
- Voila, your cleaner is complete!
- 2 Grapefruit - $1.25
- 16 oz. bottle - FREE (I waited until one of my other cleaning bottles were empty)
- White Distilled Vinegar - $.23 for 16 oz.
- TOTAL - $1.48 for an all natural cleaner (plus you got to enjoy the fruit too!)