We have a family friend named Debbie and she is an incredible cook and baker. I've known her my entire life and I've never had a bad meal or treat from her kitchen. She gave me this recipe at my wedding shower almost 12 years ago. Unfortunately it wasn't Trim Healthy Mama approved, so I've tweaked it to make it an on plan salad. It tastes just like the original and is so good.
I served it at my Dad's birthday party this past weekend and it was gone before I even got a helping. Good thing I tasted it ahead of time! Most people there are not on plan and couldn't tell that it had stevia based sweeteners in it rather than regular old white sugar. :)
This salad is a great addition to a great low-carb S meal, or as a stand alone salad for lunch. It's packed with protein from the spinach and might be an easier way to get your pickier eaters to try broccoli.
Debbie's Tangy Broccoli & Spinach Salad (Serves 8)
- 1 c. mayo
- 2 1/2 T. white vinegar
- 1 t. THM Sweet Blend or 2 t. Truvia
- 1/4 t. paprika
- 1/8 t. garlic powder
- 1 medium head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/2 c. sweet onion, minced
- 10 slices turkey bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 4 c. baby spinach
- peanuts or sunflower seeds, optional to sprinkle on top
- In a small bowl mix together the mayo, vinegar, THM Sweet Blend, paprika and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the broccoli, onion and bacon. Pour the dressing over top and mix well. Put it in the refrigerator and chill for at least one hour before serving.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, toss in the baby spinach and stir to coat the spinach in the dressing. Top with a few peanuts or sunflower seeds if desired. Serve immediately.