***This post contains affiliate links. You are in no way obligated to purchase anything. If you do so I receive a small commission, which does not affect your purchase price in any way. By purchasing through my affiliate links, it helps to cover the costs of operating my site. Thank you for your consideration and support!
This time of year always makes me want something hearty and comforting to eat that won't break the bank. After a long day, I just want a warm meal, but not something that is going to derail my healthy way of eating. It seems like my days (and evenings really) keep on getting more and more busy as my kids are getting older. I've started using my slow cooker more these days and it makes getting a healthy meal on the table a breeze. Don't let busyness be an excuse for not eating healthy!
My Slow Cooker Chicken and Quinoa Chili could not be more simple to throw together. The only prep work is dicing the chicken into bite size pieces. Other than that, you are just throwing things in the slow cooker. Easy peasy!
If you'd like to make this meal even more budget friendly, you can substitute brown rice for the quinoa. I just love quinoa because it is packed with so many nutrients. You can also make this dish vegetarian by omitting the chicken and replacing it with another can of black or pinto beans. You would also want to swap vegetable stock for the chicken stock.
If you follow the Trim Healthy Mama way of eating, this is an E meal.
I hope your family enjoys this easy to make recipe as much as my family does!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Quinoa Chili (Serves 6-8)
- 1 1/2# boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced in bite sized pieces
- (2) 15 oz. cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- (1) 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 5 c. chicken stock
- 1 c. quinoa, rinsed well (I usually rinse it for 2 minutes under warm water)
- 3 T. chili seasoning
- 1 t. salt
- green onions, chopped jalapenos, pinch of cheese, 0% Plain Greek Yogurt - optional toppings
- Place all ingredients, except for the toppings, in the slow cooker. Put on the lid and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Taste and check for seasonings and adjust as needed. Serve and top with green onions, jalapenos, a pinch of cheese or 0% Plain Greek Yogurt.