The holidays will be quickly upon us and you know what the means. A lot of holiday gatherings and a LOT of food! I love being with people and what better way to enjoy their company than over a great meal or some tasty appetizers, but sometimes we can get ourselves in "food trouble" if we don't watch out.
I've been following the Trim Healthy Mama way of eating for over two years now, and the holidays are some of the hardest times for me to stay on-plan. There are so many tempting dishes ready to derail me, but this year I'm determined to stay the course. That's why I created this Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip. It is something that I can bring to a party and enjoy eating guilt free because it is 100% on-plan, yet no one else there will know they are eating health food. I just love being sneaky like that! I've been bringing this dish to gatherings for over a year and each time I get asked for the recipe. That's the sign of a winning dish to me! So be a winner at your next gathering and bring this dish a long.
Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip (Serves 8-10 as an appetizer)
- 10 oz. box of frozen chopped spinach
- 8 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. mayo
- 4 T. shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 c. unsweetened almond milk
- (2) cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 t. dried basil
- 14 oz. can of artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and chopped
- assorted raw vegetables for dipping (celery, bell peppers, carrots and cucumbers work best)
- ***If you do not eat Trim Healthy Mama, or wish to do a crossover you could use Baked Blue Corn Tortilla chips for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9" pie pan or other shallow baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, place the frozen spinach with 1/4 c. of water. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. If it is still frozen, microwave for another 30 seconds. Once the spinach has cooled down, transfer to a strainer and press out as much water as possible. You may need to repeat the pressing step a couple of times to really get the water out.
- In a medium mixing bowl place the cream cheese and beat it with a spoon until it is smooth. Sometimes if it doesn't want to move very well, I will microwave it for about 20 seconds.
- Add the mayo, 3 T. of the Parmesan cheese, almond milk, garlic and basil and beat until it is blended. Stir in the spinach and the artichokes and place in the pie pan. Spread the mixture evenly and sprinkle with the remaining 1 T. of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until it is heated through and the edges have slightly browned. Serve with an assortment of vegetables for dipping.