I have a thing for Tex Mex food. I just can't get enough of it. You'll notice that a lot of recipes I create are a version of Tex Mex. I'm always trying to recreate the flavors that I LOVE so much.
This skillet is so simple, yet so full of flavor. Your family will ask you to make it again and again. I created this Tuesday, and my kids have asked me every night since to make it again. I told them we need at least a week in between. :) I hope your family loves it just as much as mine does.
Lovin' Tex Mex Skillet (THM: E, Gluten-free, Sugar-free) Serves 4-6
- 1 c. brown rice, uncooked
- (1) green bell pepper, diced
- (1) medium onion, diced
- (3) cloves of garlic, minced
- 1# lean ground beef or 99% lean ground turkey ***If you use ground beef you will need to rinse it under hot water for about two minutes to help keep this meal in an E territory. Refer to page 188 in the NEW THM Plan book for more info.
- juice from half of a lime
- 2 T. taco seasoning
- 1/4 c. water
- 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 2 T. cilantro, optional for garnish
- green onions, optional for garnish
- Bring 2 c. of water to a boil. Add the brown rice and a pinch of salt, return to a boil, place the lid on and turn down to a simmer. Cook until rice is done, about 40-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium heat add 1 t. of oil to the pan. Add the bell pepper and onion to the pan. Sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add the ground beef or turkey to the pan and cook until done. ***If you are using ground beef, make sure you rinse it under hot water once you are done. The easiest way to do this is to put it in a strainer and rinse under hot water for about two minutes.
- Put the beef back in the skillet and add the lime juice, taco seasoning and water and stir to combine. Let simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve immediately and top with cilantro and green onion.