Thursday, July 16, 2015

Brown Spanish Rice


If you've hung around my blog for any length of time you know that I LOVE Mexican food. It doesn't really matter what type of Mexican food, I just love it all. I made Spanish rice for years and years and always felt like it was a great addition to tacos, burritos or whatever. But when I started eating the Trim Healthy Mama way, I for whatever reason felt like my Spanish rice had to go because it was made with white rice.

Pin it

I just couldn't part with it, so I slowly started tweaking my old Spanish Rice recipe. The result is delicious and fills that void for my old rice. It's a very inexpensive side dish and is always a crowd pleaser whenever I bring it to a get together. My favorite way to eat Brown Spanish Rice is in a chicken taco salad. I cook the chicken breast and add taco seasoning. Then I layer it with lettuce, rice, a few black or pinto beans and some on-plan salsa or pico de gallo. Very refreshing and filling! You can have up to 3/4 c. cooked brown rice in an E meal. Sometimes I'll only eat about 1/3 c. of the rice and have some black beans with it. If you are at the stage where you can have an S Helper meal, you can have 1/4 c. of brown rice and eat it with ground beef taco meat. So many way to enjoy it!

Printable Recipe
Brown Spanish Rice (Serves 4-6)
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 c. brown rice, uncooked
  • 1 small red OR white onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 2 c. water
  • 10.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes with chilies ~ mild, original or hot (i.e. Rotel)
  • 2 T. chili powder ***This makes a medium-hot level of spice, if you want a mild level of spice use 2 t. of chili powder. 
  • 1 t. salt
  • green onions, optional for garnish
  1. Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
  2. Add the water, tomatoes, chili powder and salt and bring to a boil.
  3. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and let simmer until rice is done (about 40-45 minutes).
  4. Top with sliced green onions if desired.

5 comments:

  1. I have a can of beans any suggestions on how to season that? I noticed them in your pic. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to add cumin, onion and garlic powder. I just sprinkle in some, taste it, and adjust as needed.

      Delete
  2. Cilantro, a little cumin and fresh squeezed lime taste great in black beans too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Have you tried making this in a crockpot? I'm thinking about putting the ingredients in before church on Sunday morning. It would cook for about 4 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. I would do it on high if I were going to make it in the slow cooker.

      Delete