If you've hung around my blog for any length of time you know that I LOVE Mexican food. It doesn't really matter what type of Mexican food, I just love it all. I made Spanish rice for years and years and always felt like it was a great addition to tacos, burritos or whatever. But when I started eating the Trim Healthy Mama way, I for whatever reason felt like my Spanish rice had to go because it was made with white rice.
I just couldn't part with it, so I slowly started tweaking my old Spanish Rice recipe. The result is delicious and fills that void for my old rice. It's a very inexpensive side dish and is always a crowd pleaser whenever I bring it to a get together. My favorite way to eat Brown Spanish Rice is in a chicken taco salad. I cook the chicken breast and add taco seasoning. Then I layer it with lettuce, rice, a few black or pinto beans and some on-plan salsa or pico de gallo. Very refreshing and filling! You can have up to 3/4 c. cooked brown rice in an E meal. Sometimes I'll only eat about 1/3 c. of the rice and have some black beans with it. If you are at the stage where you can have an S Helper meal, you can have 1/4 c. of brown rice and eat it with ground beef taco meat. So many way to enjoy it!
Brown Spanish Rice (Serves 4-6)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 c. brown rice, uncooked
- 1 small red OR white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 c. water
- 10.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes with chilies ~ mild, original or hot (i.e. Rotel)
- 2 T. chili powder ***This makes a medium-hot level of spice, if you want a mild level of spice use 2 t. of chili powder.
- 1 t. salt
- green onions, optional for garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the water, tomatoes, chili powder and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and let simmer until rice is done (about 40-45 minutes).
- Top with sliced green onions if desired.