My husband and two of my kids absolutely love eggs. They're a very inexpensive protein and the possibilities are endless as to what you can add to them. I'm always trying to come up with new ways to serve them to keep things interesting. I get bored with just plain old scrambled eggs. This frittata was a homerun with my crew. It would be great for any meal. With breakfast I ate it with a couple of strawberries cut up on the side. With dinner you could eat it with a small side salad. This is an S meal if you are following the Trim Healthy Mama plan. It has bacon in it. Need I say more?
Cheddar, Bacon and Veggie Frittata (S) Serves 6-8
- 12 large eggs
- 8 oz. bacon (nitrate and sugar free), diced
- (1) medium onion, diced
- (1) medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- (1) medium zucchini, diced
- 2 T. unsweetened almond milk
- 2 T. water
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1/8 t. garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 c. cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8 baking pan. In a large skillet over medium heat cook the onion, bell pepper, zucchini and bacon. Sprinkle with black pepper and cook until the veggies are tender and the bacon begins to get crispy, making sure to stir it occasionally. Using a slotted spoon remove to a paper towel lined plate or bowl. Pat the top of the mixture with a paper towel as well.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat the eggs, almond milk and water together. Add the spices, veggie and bacon mixture and 1/2 c. cheddar cheese to the bowl. Stir to combine and pour mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until it is almost set in the center. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 c. of cheddar cheese on top. Put back in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes more until the center is completely set and the cheese is melted.