Sunday, February 9, 2014

Perfect Pancakes

Pancakes....just the word makes my mouth water. We love pancakes here in our house. Every Saturday morning for many years we have made them. The kids look forward to it each week and every Friday night they remind me to make the batter before I go to bed. We used to buy the pre-made mixes, but they left a lot to be desired. Plus they are filled with additives and preservatives. YUCK! I looked and looked for the perfect recipe, but to no avail. So I just decided to make my own recipe. They are light, fluffy, sweet and everything you've ever wanted in a pancake.

 (I like to eat mine one at a time, not in a big stack. Yes, I realize I'm weird.)

These are not "healthy" pancakes by any means. They are a nice splurge once a week. They are great topped with just about anything - maple syrup, peanut butter, berries or cinnamon and sugar. Our favorite is cinnamon and sugar. Personally, I'm thankful that my kids have grown to love them topped that way so they aren't super sticky and don't smell of maple syrup half the day. Can I get an amen, parents? I double this recipe for my family of six, and we usually have no left overs, but my kids are big eaters. Lord, help the future of my grocery budget!

Perfect Pancakes  Makes 12-15 pancakes
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1 t. salt
  • 2 T. white sugar
  • 2 T. brown sugar
  • 1 c. milk
  • 3 T. oil
  • 2 eggs, beaten well
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  1. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, white and brown sugar into a medium sized mixing bowl.
  2. Crack the eggs into a smaller bowl and beat them well. Add the milk, oil and vanilla extract and mix well.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until completely combined.
  4. Cook them over low to medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
  5. Top them with a dollop of butter and desired topping.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm gonna make some for my breakfast tomorrow, I'm trusting that my grandkids know a great pancake when they eat it!

    ReplyDelete