Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Fajita Marinade (S)

I love Mexican food! I could eat it every single day of my life. I love getting fajitas at a restaurant, but hate the price tag that comes with them. This marinade is what I came up with to duplicate the flavor of restaurant style fajitas. It is great on chicken, beef (not ground) or shrimp as well as vegetables. I typically use onions and green peppers, but zucchini or summer squash would be great too.

This recipe is enough to marinate 4 chicken breasts, 2 bell peppers and 3 onions. If I'm using steak I usually use 2 pounds, and usually a flank steak. I serve this on a low-carb tortilla or on top of lettuce with sour cream, salsa and cheese.

(Beef broth not pictured)

Pin it for later.

Fajita Marinade
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1 t. grated lime rind (make sure not to get any of pith (the white stuff under the rind) because it tastes bitter)
  • 2 1/2 T. fresh lime juice
  • 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 t. ground cumin (if you don't love the flavor of cumin back it down to 1 t.)
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. oregano
  • 1/2 t. black pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 c. low-sodium beef broth or stock
  1. Whisk all ingredients together.
  2. Pour over meat and vegetables and let marinate for a minimum of 4 hours. Overnight is best to really let the flavors soak in.

***Do not marinate meat and vegetables in the same container. This leads to cross contamination. If you are using more than one variety of meat, put them in separate containers as well.




7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe. I'm looking forward to trying it. Do you drain all the liquid before you cook the meat and veggies or do you cook it in the liquid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meat I take out of the marinade and grill it. The veggies I take out of the marinade and put in the pan and add a little of the liquid. As it cooks I add a little more liquid here and there.

      Delete
  2. Could you prepare this, and put it in a food saver (with marinade) and freeze for later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried that before. I think it would be ok, butvagain without trying it, I'm not 100% sure.

      Delete
    2. I do this all the time. It works great. Also, if you should decide to use slow cooker then you can just cut the bag open and toss the frozen liquid and meat in, cook on high for 4-6 hours and serve over rice.....

      Delete
  3. Could you prepare this, and put it in a food saver (with marinade) and freeze for later?

    ReplyDelete