Monday, December 16, 2013

Countdown to Christmas: Grandma's Christmas Sugar Cookies

When I was a little girl my Grandma would come and visit a few weeks before Christmas to make cookies with my brother and me. She would always bring all the goodies needed and always brought an old work shirt of my Grandpa's to wear; so we wouldn't ruin our own clothes of course. It wasn't Christmas until Grandma had come to bake cookies. I have such fond memories of this time, and now it is a tradition that has been passed on to my kids to do with my Mom.

This past weekend we made cookies, new memories and plenty of messes. And of course the kids were completely sugar buzzed. That's half the fun, right?

These cookies are great for cutting shapes out of. They work fine for just making drop cookies as well. It's a very versatile cookie.

                                                     (I love the how the kids decorate!)


Grandma's Christmas Sugar Cookies
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. sour milk (add 1 T. of white vinegar to the milk to make it sour)
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1/4-1/2 t. salt
  • 2 1/4 c. flour
  1. Cream the sugar and shortening together. You can do by hand or with an electric hand mixer.
  2. Add the egg and mix again.
  3. Pour the 1/2 c. of milk into a 1 c. glass measuring cup. Add the 1 T. of white vinegar and the 1 t. of baking soda to the milk. Stir to combine and then add to the dough mixture.
  4. Add the baking powder, salt and flour to the mixture and mix until completely combined. 
  5. Chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
  6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  7. Roll out dough onto a well floured surface. Cut into desired shapes.
  8. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
  9. Let the cookies completely cool before you decorate them.

2 comments:

  1. They look pretty good! & so well decorated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes me want to bake cookies - if I could just find the time!!!

      Delete