Saturday, November 23, 2013

Thanksgiving Meal with Grandma's stuffing

I love Thanksgiving - the planning, the food, the family and great memories that abound. As someone who loves to cook I get so excited to start planning the meal once November rolls around.

I'm even more excited this year because I will be making my Grandma's stuffing for the first time. I have so many good memories tied to this stuffing. My Grandma passed away in September, so this will be our first holiday season without her. She loved all holidays and always put such special emphasis into decorations, especially table decorations. I was just joking with my cousin about how Grandma even had salt and pepper shakers for each holiday. As much as she loved to decorate, she loved having her family together even more.

My cousin is blessed to have a copy of the recipe for Grandma's stuffing in Grandma's handwriting. Thanks for sharing this photo with me, Amy Jo!



Here is what I will be making for Thanksgiving this year:
  • Turkey - I skip all the basting and brining and use an oven safe bag. I use Reyonld's Oven bags, turkey size. This is truly one of the most simple way to make a turkey. I remove the organs (disgusting I know), rinse and dry it, chop an onion and throw it inside, season the outside with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and poultry season, give it a good coat of olive oil and then put it in the bag and let it cook. It's done in nearly half the time as the normal way of cooking a turkey. It comes out moist and delicious without hardly any fuss at all. Check it out!
  • Mashed potatoes and gravy
  • Grandma's stuffing (recipe to follow)
  • Green bean casserole
  • Corn
  • Rolls
  • Pumpkin Pie
Grandma's Stuffing
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 c. celery, diced
  • 1 loaf dry white bread (leave the bread out on the counter over night to dry)
  • 1 1/2 t. poultry seasoning
  • 1 1/2 t. salt (add some seasoning salt too if you like things a little saltier)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • milk to dip the bread in
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Melt butter in a sauce pan, add onion and celery and fry over low heat until tender.
  3. Dip bread in the milk and cut or pull into smaller pieces.
  4. Put bread into a greased casserole dish. Add vegetables, seasonings and egg. Mix until very well combined.
  5. Bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment